On November 3rd, project sponsors gathered at the Georgia Museum of Agriculture in Tifton for the unveiling of the restored historic cotton gin in the museum’s Historic Village. This project took two years to complete, and cost over $85,000. All funding was provided by sponsors, including the Georgia Cotton Commission. This event was the first time cotton had been ginned at the museum since October of 2008.
The 1890’s era gin is steam powered, and is capable of ginning six to eight bales of cotton per day. It will be staffed completely volunteers, and therefore not open all of the time. We are so happy that the gin is operational again and is educating students and consumers not only about the past, but about cotton as well. The Georgia Cotton Commission is proud to be a part of this project.